Ghanaians be like.....

East meets West (Africa)
1: Ghana's love affair with telenovelas reached a new pinnacle this year with one TV station in
Kumkum Bhagya
particular featuring an Indian 'soap opera' dubbed in Twi. I didn't believe it could ever happen until I saw it with my own eyes on Adom TV recently.

Imagine....some beautified Indian actresses complete with sari spitting some Twi lyrics!!! It is definitely novel and the dubbing is ok... I hardly saw any out-of-sync lips movements and audio.

I guess the  novelty hasn't worn off for me yet as it is the Indian-Ghanaian contrast that transfixes me at the moment....not the cheesy content. Let's hope more of these dubs emerge in other Ghanaian languages.

The mother of reinvention
2: I love a good spelling error and Ghana never disappoints when it comes to dishing out howlers.

local dishe
Her most recent faux pas being the 59th Independence Day brochure. In the document, the Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta was wrongly named as Ghana's president....among other errors.

chicken & beacon ceasar
Since I could not get hold of a personal copy, I have identified some beauties of my own. These are from my trip to the homeland which have kept me smiling.

The living sweetshop
3: Any Ghanaian household worth its salt should have one in their gardens. I call them the living sweet shop because this fruit can be picked from a tree and is about the size of a wine gum or fruit
yoyi - the fruit of goodness
pastille if you catch my drift. Once you crack open the relatively soft shell, just pop the not-too-sweet velvety goodness in your mouth and wait as it melts to reveal a gorgeous seed inside. This fruit is called yoyi and I overdosed on them recently.

Ghanaian imagination
4: Awwww that's what I said when a little boy who couldn't 've been more than four years old said to his mum as the day was drawing to a close: "Is the sun going to sleep?"

Ghanaian humour
5: Coming back from Ghana and we plane passengers are waiting for our luggage at the airport conveyor belt. It is a long and frustrating process until we see a lone yam on the conveyor belt. We all broke into laughter. Maybe you just had to be there but the sight of this gnarled tuber on the conveyor belt with no indication of whom it belonged to really was a fitting end to a fun trip home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's your favourite Adinkra symbol?

Ghanaian sitcom star leaves lasting legacy in Kwahu

Vlog: British-Nigerian author's books set for February 2018 revamp

Insane in the membrane: Sticking two fingers up to the virginity test

Testing boundaries: an interview with Gold Coast film co-producer Kwame Boadi